(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, Gas 5, and line a muffin tin with 6 muffin cases. Using a hand held electric whisk or freestanding mixer mix the butter, sugar, flour and salt on a low speed until it is the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Put the eggs in a jug and whisk by hand. Add the milk and vanilla and mix together.
- Pour ¾ of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients & mix on low speed, then mix on a medium speed until smooth & thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until ½ full. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool slightly and then place on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting use a hand held whisk or freestanding mixer slowly whisk the icing sugar with the butter, until well mixed, add the milk then increase the speed to high and whisk until soft & fluffy.
- Top the cooled cupcakes with frosting using a palette knife. Sprinkle each cupcake with your chosen decoration.