(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Place the icing sugar, egg whites, liquid glucose and peppermint extract into a food processor and mix together until it forms a firm ball, with a similar texture to plasticine. Add more icing sugar if needed to achieve the right consistency.
- Lightly dust your work surface with icing sugar and knead the icing until smooth. Divide into 2 and cover one piece with cling film.
- Dip a cocktail stick into the red food dye and dot onto the uncovered icing ball. Now knead this until the colour is even, adding more food dye if a deeper shade is desired.
- Next divide both icing balls into 25-30 pieces and cover with cling film, then take one of each colour and roll out into thin sausages about 10cm long. Twist them together and gently roll into 1 even sausage, then bend the top around to make the cane, trimming the ends.
- Place on a lined baking tray and repeat with the rest of the icing. Leave overnight to harden.