(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Preheat oven to 170°C /fan oven 150°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3
Either line two muffin tins with paper cases or use the reusable silicone fairy cake cases.
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa and chocolate chips into a large bowl. Add the oil and crème fraiche and eggs. Beat together until smooth and slightly fudgy.
- Fill the cases ¾ full and bake the cakes for 20 minutes until well risen.
- Beat together the butter and Irish liqueur. Add the icing sugar a tablespoon at a time. Beat until smooth and creamy and all of the icing sugar is added.
Pipe the icing over the cupcakes and sprinkle liberally with chocolate flavour strands.
- To make non-alcoholic icing replace the Irish Liqueur with another flavouring (like Vanilla extract or Strawberry flavouring) or add melted chocolate.
If you do not want to pipe the icing spread the icing roughly over the cakes and swirl using the back of a spoon.