(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Dry fry the minced beef and onions until browned. Add the carrots and cook for a further 5 mins. Add the flour and cook for 1 min then add the stock and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 mins. Allow to cool completely
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes in boiling water for 15 mins until tender, then drain well and mash with the butter and milk, and season to taste. Allow to cool completely
- To make the pastry, place the flour and suet in a mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper then stir in 250ml milk to make a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 mins
- Pre heat the oven to 220°C, 200°C, fan, gas 7. Dust the work surface with flour and roll out the pastry to a circle about 40cm across, or large enough to line the base and sides and over the top of the pie. Drape the pastry inside a 23 cm 9in round spring form cake tin and press up against the sides. And overhanging the edge.
- Fill the pie with the cold mince mixture, top with the mash, and pile the spinach on top. Fold the suet pastry up over the filling to enclose it , pinching the edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg. Bake the pie in the oven for 1 hour until golden brown and crisp and the filling has heated right through. Serve hot.