(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/350°F/Mark 4. Butter and line a baking tray.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl on a Bain Marie or microwave, stirring occasionally.
- Off the heat, add both sugars, mixing until well combined. Add a pinch of salt to bring out the flavours.
- Add the eggs one at the time until the mixture becomes glossy. Add the almonds, salt, flour, baking powder and cherries and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, level it off and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until set. Leave in the tin to cool.
- For the icing, melt the butter and chocolate together on a Bain Marie then mix in the icing sugar.
- Trim the cake, then spread the icing on the top of the cold chocolate cake, decorate with a serrated knife, and allow to set.
- Finally cut into squares and decorate with cherries and a little edible gold leaf.