(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- You will need a 20cm round cake tin.
- Grease and base line a 20cm round cake tin, dust with flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 3.
- Place the stout, butter, sugar and syrup together in a large pan. Heat gently until the butter and sugar are melted.
- Add the flour, ground ginger and stem ginger. Blend the bicarbonate and a little milk together in a small dish then add this mixture to the pan and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into teh prpared cake tin and bake for around 45 minutes. Check by inserting a skewer...if it comes out clean it is baked.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cake to stand on a wire rack in the tin for 5 minutes before removing from the tin to cool completely.
- Beat the butter util soft and gradually add the icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Spoon over the cooled cake keeping a little rough texture. Decorate with the chopped stem ginger. Serve in slices.