(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line, grease and dust two 22cm cake tins with flour.
- Put the sugar and eggs in a heat proof bowl and place on a bain Marie, beat until hot without stopping mixing. Whisk the hot mixture with a hand electric whisk or in the mixer at full speed for 10minutes - the mixture will double in volume and should create a "ribbon" effect when dripping from the whisk.
- Sift in the flour and fold it gently into the mixture with a large metal spoon add the melted butter at this stage too, but be careful not to overmix at this stage as this will prevent the cake rising well.
- Divide the mixture between 2 x 22cm and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out on a wire rack to cool.
- I prefer to cook my genoise the day before I need it as it is much easier to slice and work with. Once ready to serve, slice the cakes in half into two thin layers fo each sandwich, so you have four in total. Then layer each sandwich with fresh whipped cream and berries. Decorate the top with more berries and a dusting of icing sugar.